Friday, June 5, 2009

Contrast

This post has been milling around in my brain for the last couple of days. I'm still not sure it will come out right, so bear with me.

It's been a little odd around here, lately.

The juxtaposition of life and death, goodbyes and new beginnings is jarring.

My Grandma passed away Wednesday. That in itself is a jumble of emotions. I'm sad, obviously. Sad for me, because I'll miss her, sad for my Mom, and the rest of my family. At the same time, I'm happy for Grandma. Happy because I know she's free from the pain and frailty that have been plaguing her, happy that she's with Jesus.

One of my oldest, dearest friends gave birth to her firstborn this week, a little girl.

Life, death.

There is a new beginning for my little family in the near future. I'm going to hold off on details for a little bit, since there are still some steps to complete, but I can't wait to see what God will do. But--new beginnings mean other endings.

Hello, goodbye.

It's interesting to be so excited, and so sad at the same time. I guess that's what life is. Nature itself is a cycle of life coming from death.

There's something profound in that.

3 comments:

Mrs. M said...

I don't always want to think about this circle of life that we have to all deal with, but you have to because it can't ever not be present. I think life events, such as a death or birth just bring it even more to the surface. So, bring both into the mix at the same time and it must really get you contemplating. Anyways, enjoyed your post and hope you are doing okay!

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

There is a song by Sanctus Real called "benjamin" that talks about this very thing. It is about one of the band members who lost his dad and a couple of days later had his first son. It is such a beautiful song and always makes me think of what you are saying. I wish you the best!

p.s. Glad you got some DQ!

Suburban Turmoil said...

I know the feeling. Lately, I've been dealing with the deaths of old friends and acquaintances, juxtaposed with constant marveling over my 2 and 5-year-old's boundless energy and youth. The older we get, the more complicated life becomes.