Friday, November 28, 2008

The Shack

**Disclaimer: If you are content with how you 'view' God, don't read this book. You probably shouldn't read this post, either.**

I read The Shack, by William P. Young yesterday. I do that, sometimes. I get so into a book that I finish it in one day. The Shack isn't a long book, so that's not necessarily a huge feat, but it tells you what I think of this book.

And now, every person I see, I want to grab them by the shoulders, look into their eyes, and tell them to read this book. It's not often I get like this. I told Hubba Hubba about 42 times last night that he needed to read it.

The Shack has affected me in ways I will probably spend a long while understanding, but let me try to explain a bit of it, anyway.

First, you need to understand a bit about me. I met Jesus when I was 4, and regardless of what anyone has to say about the spiritual understanding of a 4 year-old, I know that's when I first met him. Sure, our relationship has grown and changed over the years, but that's where it began. Reading The Shack was another giant step forward. What has already (in the one day since I've read it) begun to change my relationship with God is the theology in it.

That word, theology, is enough to make some people decide not to read the book. So please understand when I write theology, I mean it in what I think is the truest sense of the word: studying God, and how we think of God. Theology doesn't have to be paragraph after paragraph of huge words like transubstantiation, although I suppose paragraphs like those have their place. They're in the books Hubba Hubba is more likely to read than I.

Smack dab in the middle of a great story is some good "stuff" (I don't want to keep writing theology) that challenges what I think are some common misconceptions about God. Some of it might make you uncomfortable. Some of it will probably relieve you greatly.

So, as I said in my disclaimer, if you're comfortable with how you 'understand' God (do we ever really understand Him? I hope not!) then you probably don't want to read this book. However, if you think you might want to see God in a way that makes Him much more relevant to your life, read this book. Also, if you are angry with God, read this book. You'll have a lot in common with Mack. If you think God is distant, read this book. If you're just looking for a good book to read, then you can still read The Shack.

And let me know what you think!

4 comments:

meganblaire said...

I did the exact same thing with The Shack (exact same thing meaning, I sat down devoured the entire book in one sitting!) and it TOTALLY CHANGED MY LIFE!!! No one believes that a mere book could have such a profound influence, but it did. Forget levels, it took my Spiritual life to an entirely different universe. I have been passing my copy along whenever I get even a quasi-willing subject; only to miss it terribly while it's gone, because I cannot get enough of it!! I am so glad to have finally found someone who has read it and agrees/understands! Thank you Jesus for small blessings in the blog world ;)

(BTW, my name is Megan and I have been a "lurker" I found you through MckMama, and though I have created a blogger account, I have yet to establish a blog of my own. But I greatly enjoy your blog and have been praying for the going's on as they develop, surrounding your move to Kenya. Just wanted you to know:) )

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the shack as well.

LaurenJ said...

Amen Jenn. Thank you for blogging about it. It is such a great book to get you thinking. :)

LaurenJ said...

oh and my parents and brother went to montreal and ottawa and had poutine. It looks gross in the fridge all cold but they said it was yummy :)