Monday, July 6, 2009

Being BH

In my ever-growing list of blogs I enjoy, you'll find Suburban Turmoil. Lindsay is not afraid to tell it like it is, and tell it in a way that makes you laugh so hard you may or may not just pee a little. Last month she linked to a column she wrote about Brag Hags.



The Brag Hag, a term Lindsay coined, is that mom who insists on sharing with you each and every one of her child's many, many accomplishments.



Well, just this once, just this once, you understand, I am going full on BH.



See this?




If you spend any amount of time in our house at all, you've probably seen Wiggle Man doing one of two things: eating a peanut butter sandwich, or asking for one. Now, Wiggle Man's vocabulary may not be as extensive as your child's. I'll give you that. But is your child bilingual?

I thought not.

Remember, Wiggle Man is half Canadian, and there's some French Canadian in that Canadian part of him. You may not realize what he's saying at first when he comes up to you and says "Brrr. BRRR!"

Is he cold? Is he mimicking a car? But if you grew up in the TNSAF (True North Strong And Free) and remember any of your high school french, or if you always read the french side of your food packages, you know that what he's actually saying is this: "Beurre." As in "beurre d'arachide", or peanut butter.

Yes indeed folks, my kid is spontaneously speaking french.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

4 comments:

Sara @ Domestically Challenged said...

Aww, good job wiggle man. Heck, I'd ask for a peanut butter sandwich in 23 languages if I could! I have to check out that blog now!

Paging Doctor Mommy said...

I agree with Sara... it might be worth learning how to say peanut butter in every language!

Helene said...

Hey, if speaking another language would get me a peanut butter sandwich you bet I'd be speaking it in no time!!

Suburban Turmoil said...

Ha ha! Awesome. :)