Saturday, June 21, 2008

Graduation

Last night was the local high school graduation. My beloved and I were there because several of the "kids" (the salutatorian informed us they were now "adults") from our church were graduating. I enjoy things like graduations, because while I would argue that maybe they're not quite adults yet, high school graduation is definitely a huge milestone. A rite of passage towards adulthood. It's nice to be able to witness that, especially for young people we've been working with since 7th grade. And what do I know? Maybe they're more adult than I realise. Certainly many of them handled themselves with more poise than some members of the audience.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for celebrating accomplishments like graduating. I'm all for hooting and hollering for your graduate. The louder, the better--let them know you're cheering for them! Here's my beef: air horns. Not one, but two men with air horns were sitting in our section, one right behind the other. (They were both sounding them at the same time, for the same graduates.) I was startled, but otherwise ok after the first few blasts. However, after the seventh or eighth graduate they "celebrated" thus, I seriously thought fluid was coming out of my ears. A young girl next to me started crying after a particularly loud blast.

If there are any of you reading this who are air horn aficianados, I hope you'll forgive my rant. Please, please, please: if small children are crying, and those around you are visibly starting with every blast, if people are rubbing their ears and are no longer paying attention to the ceremony because they are watching your trigger finger to see when the next blast is coming, perhaps you could consider putting the air horn away for the evening.

Anyway, rant over. Congrats to all graduates out there--we're proud of you. I'd sit next to an air horn any day for you!

No comments: