Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Know What I Mean?

Do you ever have one of those days (or weeks, or months...years...) where nothing is going right? It seems you're being attacked from every angle. It's been one of those weeks for me. It seems that everywhere I go, someone's got something unpleasant to say to/about me. Or something I've done. Or not done.

I sat down this afternoon with some Oswald. (Chambers, that is. My Utmost For His Highest--one of my favourite devotionals. The one I come back to when I need a good kick in the seat. Like today.)

Today's devotional directed me to 2 Corinthians 12. I didn't make it through the chapter, because verse 10 stopped me in my tracks. It's the one where Paul talks about being strong in his weaknesses. My first thought was that even my weaknesses are weak. They're not the weaknesses a truly godly woman should have. Like, you know, being persecuted for Jesus or something.

Really?

My weaknesses aren't good enough? It was almost enough to make me laugh out loud.

What if, what if I could learn to lean on Jesus even in my weak weaknesses? The un-pretty ones? What if I could hand my struggles (the ones that would never make a great novel for made-for-t.v.-movie) to Him and trust that He'll be my strength?

What if?

1 comment:

ginger said...

Ok, it's taking me a few minutes for me to wrap my poor addled brain around your point of view here. I have looked at this passage countless times & honestly have begged God to show my heart what it means. My head gets it, but my heart says, "huh?" I know I have a thorn, one I do not want to boast in. It ain't pretty. And people are uncomfortable with it. I wonder if you have to boast in weaknesses in order for Christ to be honored. More meditation is required.